I’ve been on a bit of a finishing off mission this month with all sorts of products and I thought I would take pictures of them all and show you! Now, unlike most people, who gather the items up and take a picture at the end of the month, I hate hoarding empty packets so i’ve taken a picture of each individual item so I could bin it! I’ve separated the items into 3 categories: Skincare, Makeup & Beauty and Other and done a little photo collage of the items for each so I hope you like this post!
- Garnier Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes – I got these free in Freshers Week from the Johnson and Johnson stand, I’ve got to be honest and say I really didn’t like them. They were quite dry and I felt like they were rubbing at my skin. Repurchase? No.
- Liz Earle Gentle Face Exfoliator – This is the second tube of this that I have gone through and I love it. This one has lasted me since christmas though, despite me using it a couple of times a week! Repurchase? Yes, I need to get my hands on a new tube ASAP!
- Clarins Hydraquench Mask (GWP) – This is really moisturising and I like the feel of it on my skin. Clarins gives out great gift with purchases that are always a pretty generous size! Would I purchase the full size? Maybe, but I’m not desperate to replace it, it’s nice but I’ve got some other masks to use up in the mean time so I won’t be racing out to get my hands on a new tube.
- Garnier Moisture Match Normal to Dry Skin – I have this at T’s house for when I’m staying over, I quite liked using it but I could definitely tell it was a cheaper alternative to the kind of moisturisers I usually use. It did leave my skin moisturised but slightly on the greasy side. Repurchase? Not at the moment, I had a spare Champney’s Moisturiser so I’m using that at his now to use that one up.
- Kiehls Ultra Facial Cream – I really enjoyed using this and it has lasted ages! I got this for Christmas and I’ve used it twice a day so I’m pretty pleased with value for money with this product! I felt that this was really moisturising on my skin and a good every day moisturiser, not life changing but I did really like the feel of it on my skin. Repurchase? Maybe, but not until it gets more towards winter as I like to use a lotion throughout summer when my skin is less dry.
- Benefit Triple Performing Facial Emulsion (Sample) – Mum got this free when she bought a Benefit lipstick recently and kindly gave it to me. I love the smell of this and the texture is nice, my only quibble is that it made my skin feel a little tacky. Would I buy the full size? Probably not, unfortunately.
- L’oreal Skin Perfection Micellar Solution – Again, this is a product for my bedside drawer at T’s. I use it to give my skin a good cleanse and I like the light watery texture of it. It’s nice in the morning for a quick freshen up too. Repurchase? Already have!
- Clarins Instant Smooth (GWP) – I love the smoothing effect this gives on the skin, I feel like on a good skin day you could wear this alone just to smooth out the texture of your skin. I’ve been through two sample pots of this and I do enjoy using it when I have it but I don’t particularly miss it when I don’t. Purchase full size? No, I don’t think so.
- Estee Lauder Sumptuous Bold Lifting Mascara (Sample) – The lady on the counter just gave me this for enquiring about a foundation. I really really liked this and it gives a lovely full yet fluttery look to the lashes. Purchase full size? Yes I think I probably will in the future!
- Clarins Instant Smooth Lip Balm (Sample) – I have raved on and on about this since I first got my hands on this sample. It really is a wonderful product that is like photoshop for your lips! The smell is divine and the packaging is really chic. Purchase full size? Already have done!
- Jimmy Choo Eau De Toilette – I was bought this by accident, instead of the eau de parfum. The scents are actually really different, which I haven’t experienced before. I do like this as it is nice and light and fresh but not as much as the eau de parfum. Repurchase? No.
- Benefit Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow Foundation (Deluxe Mini) – This was part of my Benefit ‘How to be the Best at Everything’ set and the colour was a great match for me. I wrote a whole review on it here so if you want to hear more about what I think then you should check that out! Repurchase? No.
- MAC Prep & Prime Sample – I was really enjoying using this towards the beginning, but by the time I’d finished it I was a bit indifferent about it. Its a shimmery primer that does add a bit of a glow but it is quite glittery. Purchase full size? I don’t think so.
- Nivea Stress Protect Deodorant – Not much to say about this, it has quite a fresh scent but I start to hate the smell of whichever deodorant I buy by the end of the product. For that reason I never buy the same one twice in a row. Repurchase? No, but not because the product is bad, but for the fact that I like to switch up the scents.
- Garnier Ultimate Blends Sleek Perfector Oil (Sample) – I love hair oils so I thought I would give this a try when I received a sample of this. It has a nice light coconut scent and made my hair feel quite soft. Purchase full size? No because it was quite runny and a little greasy and I didn’t like it as much as my Organix one which I mentioned in my hair care post.
- Boots Gentle Feminine Wash – Not getting into TMI with this, but it’s not beneficial for us ladies to use scented body washes everywhere. Enough said. Repurchase. Yes.
- ASDA A-Z Multivitamins & Minerals – I need to top up my iron and being vegetarian I take some vitamins to keep on top of all my nutrients as my diet is not the best by a long way! These are great and don’t make me feel queasy like some others do. The only downside is the size of the tablets, they are huge! I think these are only £1 for 30 though which is a great bargain! Repurchase? Yes, I need to!
- Carex Aloe Vera Hand Gel – I always have a bottle of hand gel either on my bedside table or in my hand bag and this one dries really quickly and has a nice clean scent. The texture also isn’t too thick which means you can rub it in easily. Repurchase? Not yet, as I just bought a Body Shop one which I am currently loving!
So there we have it, that’s all the things I finished up this month, I am hoping to be able to do one of these monthly, even if some months are smaller than others as I am trying to finish up a few things before I buy any more. What have you finished up this month? Have you tried any of these products?
I don’t know whether I made you aware, but my boyfriend actually works as a buyer in the beauty department for Boots, I know amazing right?! He now talks to me about cleansing balms and the latest launches and an extra added bonus…he gets access to the staff shop! So this weekend was a bring a friend day so, naturally I made him drag me along with him to see if I could pick up some bargains! A lot of the stuff in there is either a Boots brand, like No7, or a Boots exclusive brand, like Soap & Glory, but there were some great things that I managed to pick up at dirt cheap prices!First things first, I would like to apologise for the utterly terrible photo, I couldn’t get everything in and when I did it was ridiculously blurry! Oops! So, what did I get?
- A Mini Soap & Glory Hand Food Hand Cream – I love this and have repurchased many times, this retails for £2.50 but I picked it up for the pricey sum of 75p. Bargain.
- Soap & Glory Scrub Your Nose In It – I have just run out of my Liz Earle exfoliator and needed a new one, I’ve heard great things about this and it was only £2.00 instead of £9.00 so how could I say no?!
- Time Delay Microdermabrasion Kit with extra heads – This is a vibrating facial device that has a soft sponge head that you apply your exfoliator to, to get a microdermabrasion effect. I have never tried anything like this and really wanted to give it a go. This has sadly been discontinued now, which is why it was in the staff shop, but it was only £2.50 so if it’s awful I’m not too bothered. I will keep you posted though!
- Ted Baker Nail Wraps – I’ve had my eyes on these for absolutely ages but the price of £7.50 really put me off in case I didn’t get on well with them. However, I found these for 75p!! Yes, you heard me right, 10% of their original value!! I may do a post when I apply them to let you know how I get on as they have loads of pretty designs!
- No7 Blusher Brush – I have had No7 brushes before and they are cheap and cheerful and wash relatively well. Not in the same league as Real Techniques but still pretty good all the same! I think this is old branding, but their current blush brush retails for £11.00 and this was only £2.00. It’s really soft and comes with a little brush guard too. Fancy!
- Soap & Glory Scrub Me Tender Hand Scrub – I quite like using hand scrubs and i’m almost out of my No7 so I thought I would give this one a go. I have a sneaky feeling that it’s discontinued as I couldn’t find it on the website but I think it was only 1 or 2 pounds so I’m happy!
- No7 Beautiful Day & Night Creams – These are actually for my Nan not for me, she uses both of these and really likes them and they were a bargain so I thought I’d treat her. She’s coming to see me tomorrow so I may bribe her to bring that spare bottle of Cleanse & Polish and do a trade. Sneaky right? These retail for £13.50 each and they were only £5 each in the staff shop! It’s lovely to be able to get a bargain and treat someone at the same time!
- No7 Soft & Soothed Cleanser – Again this is for my Nan to cleanse her face at night, she has quite thin skin due to medication and the No7 cream cleansers are lovely and gentle on her face. This retails for £8.00 but I paid £3.50. Again, a great saving and a nice treat for Nan.
- Ted Baker Hair & Body Wash – This was for T, he said he’s tried it before and liked it and it was only £1.75 so in the basket it went. It’s actually only £4.07 on the Boots website at the moment so I don’t know whether they are getting rid of this particular product but hey, he likes the smell and it was really cheap for Ted Baker!
There were so many other things there, if you used a lot of No7 you would have had a right field day! There was a limit to £30 per person to make it fair for all staff members and their friends and family! I do love Boots and think they are a fantastic company so it was nice for them to give something back in the way of these lovely low prices!
Have you tried any of the items I picked up? Is there anything in particular you would like to see a review on in the future?
Now I have mentioned before about my love for the Laura Mercier Bath & Body range. The scents are good enough to eat, the packaging is gorgeous and the products are well worth the money, in my opinion. So today I thought I would review the hand creams from the range and let you know my thoughts on them and whether I think they are worth splashing your cash on!
I have two of the hand creams from the range and I have them in my favourite scents: Creme De Pistache and Ambre Vanille. When I was looking online for the prices of these they really did vary but on average they are around the £13 mark, so not break the bank but not ultimate budget either. The packaging of these is so sophisticated and really fits in with the Laura Mercier style, despite being the cheapest products in the range. I have to be honest and say I am not blown away by these. The scent is nice but it is way too strong for a hand cream and it lingers for ages! Some people may like that, however, I apply hand cream before I go to bed and it was so strong I struggled to get to sleep! If I use them after applying perfume, I honestly cannot smell my perfume on my wrists. If the scent was a little milder and didn’t linger so long it would be lovely as they do smell good enough to eat!
Finally, the actual formulation of the hand cream is not my favourite, it’s very thick and doesn’t soak in too easily so it’s not an ‘apply on the go’ type of hand cream. My l’occitane Almond hand cream is definitely better in comparison to these. It’s a shame as I love everything else from their range that I’ve tried so far. I don’t hate these but I just wouldn’t recommend them or buy them again when there are definitely better and cheaper alternatives.
Have you tried these hand creams? If so what do you think? What’s your favourite hand cream?
So last weekend I took full advantage of the body shops amazing 40% off offer and treated myself to a few things that I had been wanting to buy for a while now. Thy arrived today just before I went to my exam which cheered me up no end! Here’s a little run down of what I bought (L-R):
- Vitamin E Moisture Lotion With SPF 15 – I’ve just run out of my moisturiser and I always seem to buy different ones. My kiehls has lasted me since Christmas so it’s done well but I feel like now it’s nearly summer I need a lotion rather than a cream as my skin is nowhere near as dry. Last summer I used the Clarins Hydraquench Lotion but this year I thought I’d give this one a go. I’ve been so impressed with the Vitamin E toner that this seemed like a perfect thing to try next!
- Chamomile Cleansing Oil – If you read my post all about cleansers, you will have seen that this was on my cleanser wish list. I am really excited to try it and to see if I love it more than the Chamomile Cleansing Balm. I came to a bit of a conclusion the other night that the balm is the best cleanser for removing my make up. Perhaps even more so than the Liz Earle! I can’t wait to see if this is the same, or even better!
- Pink Grapefruit Hand Cleanse Gel – I absolutely fell in love with this scent when I first smelt the shower gel in the shop. The assistant was showing me all the things they did in the range and this was just one of the things that caught my eye. I always have a bottle of hand sanitiser on my bedside table or in my handbag. It’s nice to be able to freshen up and know that your hands are clean! I’ve just finished my previous hand gel and was looking for something with a better scent and I think this really has ticked that box!
- Pink Grapefruit Body Mist – again, the scent was the deciding factor for this. I wanted something for my desk at work throughout the summer that was cheap enough to pass around all the girls but not so cheap we all smelt of rubbing alcohol. I love this and the glass bottle makes it feel slightly more classy! I can’t wait to use this!
So that’s what I’ve been buying from the body shop lately. I saved something crazy like £15 so this lot all only set me back £19 which is a bargain in my eyes! Have you bought anything from them recently? Do you have any good recommendations for me?
I’m always on the hunt for products that will help me get salon style hair at home. I often end up disappointed as my curly hair just doesn’t seem to respond well to cheap products or tools. However, I stumbled across the Babyliss New Big hair and I have fallen in love with it! It is a rotating heated brush that claims to dry your hair to a salon blow dry finish and I can assure you, it does exactly what it says on the tin! This picture is taken from the Babyliss website and shows the brush in great detail. The bristles are spread quite a good distance apart so my hair has never gotten tangled in them. The brush rotates two ways and has three heat settings: Cool, Warm and Hot. I can honestly say that this is one of the easiest hair tools I have ever used and I have thick, curly, waist length hair, so that is saying a lot! After one use, you have pretty much got the hang of using it and to dry my whole head of hair probably only takes 20 minutes, which is a revelation in my house! This brush retails for £45 and has two different sizes to choose from 50mm or 42mm. I have the 50mm as I like my curls to look big and smooth rather than tight. I can honestly say that this leaves the curl secret standing. I actually returned that as I felt it was not worth the money in the slightest! To say that that is £120 and this is £45, this is an absolute bargain of a product! It also comes with a 3 year guarantee though which is great to ensure you get the value for money that you want!
My Mum asked me to do her hair today as she is going on holiday, and I thought this was a perfect opportunity to show you what the Big Hair can do! Here’s what her hair is like naturally. The instructions recommend that, for the best results hair is about 80% dry when you come to use the tool. We just let our hair dry naturally to get it to this stage, its the easiest way!
I like to section the hair into three main sections so that I can then split each section into about 5 or 6 sections. Here’s a picture after the first section was complete:As you can see, her hair looks smooth and straight, yet with a slight loose curl at the bottom, which I love! There is no frizz and the hair feels incredibly soft after using this tool! It really does feel like you have come back from the hair salon! Finally, here’s a picture of the end result:I thought the end result looked great and mum was pretty pleased with it too! We sometimes like to put the hair in a low loose bun for about half an hour whilst it’s cooling off just to enhance the curls a bit more as we like our hair to be quite curly! I’m not going to go into how to use the product as there are some good YouTube videos out there and the instructions that come with the box are pretty good at helping you know how to get the best result.
Have you tried this before? Is this something you would like to try? Do you have any good recommendations for other hair tools I might like?
There have been 3 things I’ve been using recently to try and keep my skin that bit clearer throughout the stress that is exam time! I thought I’d share them with you in case any of you are battling with exam time skin too!
- Cleansing Balms – this applies to all rather than just the Liz Earle! Now that I have ditched the face wipes, my skin has improved dramatically! I also feel like it has kept some of the moisture in my skin too so it’s no where near as dry!
- Tea Tree Oil – I’ve been applying this on a cotton pad with my toner and I can see the difference. It gets rid of any bacteria on the surface of my skin and enhances the toning properties of my toner. I also have a couple of drops in my bath if my back is looking spotty. That helps to clear that up!
- Una Brennan Face Mask – I used this the first time and panicked as it made my skin sting so badly! I was getting quite worried! But I persevered and I really felt the difference in my skin the next day. It looked clearer and the odd spots I did have seemed less red and angry than before. It has salicylic acid in so I wonder whether that was why it stung, but I do really like it and the effect is pretty good!
Do you have any good tips as I am always on the hunt for more! It was exam day again today so sorry for another short post. I can’t wait for summer when I can have long posts with lots of pictures! It’s keeping me going! By the way my Twitter giveaway closes tomorrow so make sure that you’ve entered if you wanted to win those nail polishes!