Before I tell you about my favourite products I had better give you a little overview of my hair type! My hair takes forever to get greasy. I know, I am very lucky! For that reason I literally only wash my hair once every 7-9 days. You may think its gross but if I wash it any more frequently than that the ends turn into straw! My mum once told me that my hair looked better over a week after it was last washed than the day after I had! I also get my hair lightened at the hair salon anywhere between once every 8 weeks to a couple of times a year. I have also had quite curly hair my entire life, however the longer it gets, the more the curls straighten out into a nice wave. That brings me onto the next point, my hair is very long! At the moment it is not far off waist length however it has been longer in the past! I don’t use heat on my hair very often, I occasionally straighten it or use my babyliss big hair to give it a nice blow-dry but not every week. I am going to do a review on the babyliss big hair at some point soon so stay tuned! So taking all this into account, I have devised a plan to try and cover every hair eventuality to make it look the best it possibly can.
Now I don’t know about you guys, but I shampoo my hair twice, once to get any product or grease out and the second time to make sure my hair is really benefiting from my shampoo. I find whatever I use, my shampoo lathers up better the second time which tells me it’s nice and clean!
- The first Shampoo I use is the Touch of Silver Twice A Week Brightening Shampoo With Violet Pigment. This is a great toning shampoo that takes all the brassiness out of the blonde in my hair! It literally looks like purple paint when you squirt it out and the first time I used it I honestly thought my hair was going to turn out purple! I love the smell of this and it’s really cheap at only £3.19 a bottle from Boots. It lathers up nicely and leaves my hair with a lovely ashy tone after a few uses.
- After that, I shampoo my hair again with Kerastase Nutritive Bain Satin 2 Exceptional Nutrition Shampoo For Dry, Sensitise Hair.
Unfortunately, this is not a cheap and cheerful option! This retails for £17.50 a bottle but my mum and I buy it in duo packs from AllBeauty for around £25.00 for two bottles. This is great on my kind of hair, it lathers nicely, smells great and leaves my hair feeling nourished! You do only have to use a little each time too so it does last quite a while, even on my long hair!
I don’t actually use a conditioner, instead, each week I use a hair mask and leave it on for around 10 minutes. I have recently been putting it on, jumping out the shower, putting my dressing gown on and taking pictures for blog posts while I am waiting! This stage is really important for my hair to stop it being so dry, particularly since I’ve started swimming, I need to counteract the effects from the chlorine!
- The mask I have been using is from the same range as my shampoo, it’s the Kerastase Nutritive Masquintense For Thick Hair. Again this is not a cheap option, but for me I really feel like I can feel the benefits of it each time I use it. My colour looks more vibrant, the curls look smoother and the ends are as soft as anything! I didn’t even know it was possible to have soft ends until I tried this!! This retails for £28.50 but again, check out AllBeauty as it is only £22.80 on there! You get 200ml in a tub but you don’t have to use too much as you mainly focus it on the ends and the mid-lengths.
So, once I get out the shower I like to chuck my hair in the Soap & Glory Hair Turban while I dry the rest of my body off. This takes some of the moisture out of my hair as it’s made of a towel-like material , keeps it off my face and allows me to put my clothes on without getting them soaked! It’s is only £7.50 from Boots which I feel is an absolute bargain as it really has been a game-changer in my whole hair washing routine!
After i’m dressed I turn to my trusty Tangle Teezer for some much needed ‘knot-removing’ help! For £10.60 these really are an absolute must! I have much less hair-breakage, it takes me about 5 minutes to comb through my whole hair and its nice and chunky so I have never snapped any of the bristles off unlike many other hair tool casualties!
Finally we are onto styling products, I use a few different things for different occasions and styles so I thought I’d mention them all below.
- For added nourishment and softness, I use the Organic Renewing Argan Oil of Morocco Penetrating Oil. The great thing about this is you get a full 100ml of product which can easily last you the best part of a year! It really smooths my hair and leaves it so so soft. It is only £6.99 so you really do get a lot of bang for your buck! It has a handy flip top lid so no faffing around with pumps either! I apply this to my wet hair and just let my hair dry naturally!
- I occasionally also use the Bumble & Bumble Curl Conscious Curl Creme on my wet hair too to try and give even more definition to my hair and give it a little bit of texture. I only have a travel size of this but it does work quite nicely. They have rebranded this so I don’t know whether the product I have and the new one are actually the same. I do like bumble and bumble as a brand though so if you haven’t checked them out already you should go and have a look!
- As I have said, first day hair doesn’t look that great on me, my hair just seems a bit flat. So, to counteract this I sometimes use the Umberto Giannini Glam Hair Backcomb In A Bottle to add a bit of volume and lift to the roots. I find a quick spritz of this does the job nicely and leaves it looking like it has a bit more life in it! A big bottle of this is only £6.00! I have a little travel size and that has lasted me ages!
- Now, to the opposite end of the spectrum, when I have left my hair that smidge too long between washes, I always turn to Batiste Dry Shampoo In Floral & Flirty Blush. I really like this scent and this stops my hair looking greasy or just generally in need of a wash! I have used Batiste dry shampoo for years and years and honestly swear by them! For £4.99 you honestly cannot go wrong, they also do a handbag size which is great for on the go!
- Finally, if I do decide to use heat on my hair, I use the Tresemme Heat Defence Spray to give my hair some protection and the Touch of Silver Silver Glamour Hairspray to fix my hair in place. These are both cheap and cheerful products that you can find in Boots and do the job nicely!
What products do you like to use on your hair? Have you tried any of the ones I have mentioned in this post? I apologise for the poor photography and Google-found images in this post, I am busy revising and T is at work so needs must hey!