Over the last few months, it’s pretty safe to say that I have harboured quite a MAC lipstick obsession – the struggle is real! I have trawled the internet looking at blogs and watching YouTube videos of peoples collections and looking to inspire my own post and I thought that now I am the proud owner of 12 different shades, it’s about time! I am rather embarrassed to say that when I started this blog, just under a year ago, I only owned 3! Clearly, the collection has spiralled this year and I wanted to share with you some shades that I do not think get enough hype as well as some of the much loved favourites! I have managed to take/find a lip swatch for every single shade so you can see what they look like on as well as in the bullet!
First up is the CREAMSHEEN formulas:
Creamsheens basically do what they say on the tin – They’re creamy when applying and leave a nice sheen along with the colour on the lips. I would say they are quite a medium pigmentation and aren’t particularly long lasting however they feel very comfortable on the lips.
From left to right we have:
- Fanfare – mid-tone yellow pink – This is a lovely every day colour that is definitely more of a pink nude than the others. I have written a post with this in here so feel free to check that out if you want to find out more. I will insert a lip swatch below.
- Modesty – muted neutral pink – On me this comes up quite taupe which I love. It is very similar to my beloved and discontinued Ladies Choice Lipstick from Benefit which I adored so this is a good, replacement. It also featured in this post. As you can see from the picture below, it is quite a bit more brown/taupe than fanfare and it’s so easy to just slap on. It is my go-to nude with dark smoky eyes!
- Shanghai Spice – frosted neutral pink – I would definitely describe this as more of a coral-nude and I love it! I have worn this more than any of my other creamsheens and it’s just so easy to wear! I love pairing it with a coppery eye (in the form of MAC Woodwinked!) as it keeps the golden/orange tones flowing throughout the whole look. It’s a great spring/summer colour and really flatters my pale skin.
The next formula is SATIN :
This is honestly one of my favourite formulas and I wish they did more colours that I liked in this formula! It has similar lasting power to the matte formulas without being overly drying. They are more comfortable on the lips but pack a similar punch in terms of pigmentation!
- Brave – beige-pink with white pearl – I was bought this for my 21st birthday by two of the lovely sisters I tutor, Lauren picked this shade herself as it’s one of her favourites and she knew my obsession was unravelling! If you want to see what else I got then just click here. If I don’t know which lipstick to put on I reach for this as it is so east to apply and is so easy and comfortable to wear! I also love putting a little bit over mehr to make my lips look plumper! This is the only picture I have of me wearing this so I’m sorry!
The third formula that I own is the AMPLIFIED finishes:
This finish really packs a punch with the pigmentation whilst not being at all drying on the lips. They are really easy to apply and leave a slight sheen to the lips. They are incredibly comfortable to wear and have reasonable lasting power!
From left to right:
- Brick-O-La – mid-tone berry – I was bought this by my brother Alfie for christmas (thanks Fred!) and I just love it! It is a really wearable red shade if you don’t want anything too bold or like me, you love red so much you need something for every occasion. I hardly ever hear anything about this and it is such a beautiful colour that I can’t understand why! Here’s me wearing this whilst visiting my nephew over christmas! As you can see it’s quite a muted red, not quite the brick colour the name would suggest though!
- Saint Germain – clean pastel pink – This is VERY bright, VERY pastel, VERY pink and VERY white based. It is also the first MAC lipstick I ever bought! I do find it quite had to wear to be honest but I ave written a post on how to make this one more wearable if like me you have this hiding out in the back of your collection needing some more love. Heres a little blast from the past for you, back to when I was 14/15 and thought this colour was 100% going to attract the boys also featuring heavy black eyeliner and a couple of lovely visible forehead spots. Ahhhh…
The final finish I have takes up a massive 50% of my collection on it’s own! I don’t mean to but the MATTE formula has the best colours in my opinion!
MAC’s matte lipsticks have really good staying power, deliver a goo hit of pigmentation and are generally not too difficult to apply, not as easy as other formulas but not too bad overall. They can, however, be quite drying and will expose any chapped lips you have so a good, hydrating lip balm will be your best friends with these babies!
Starting from the top and going clockwise:
- Whirl – dirty rose – This is reasonably new addition to my collection and it’s also pretty new to MAC too. It originally started out as an infamous lip liner but due to the popularity it is now available in lipstick form too. I really love this colour, it is the perfect brown tone to nail that 90’s lip trend and also follow in the footsteps of Kyle Jenner (obviously!). Lipsticks seem to pull more brown on me than others so this is quite a dark brown tone on me but I adore it. It’s great day or night and I am dying to get the lipliner so I can make my application even smoother!
- Mehr – dirty blue pink – I picked this up when I bought one for the winner of my first ever giveaway and realised how beautiful it is! It is gaining a lot of popularity with the likes of Lily Pebbles and Anna from VDM keeping this in regular circulation through their makeup bags. I wear this so much and get tonnes of compliments on it. It is actually on my lips today and pairs incredibly well with No 7’s lipliner in plum. This has featured in this post if you’d like to read more and i’ll leave the lip swatch below.
- So Chaud – intense reddish-orange – The description of this one is dead on and I love it so much! I love orange lipsticks but the mix of red with this makes it a lot more wearable. I wore this for my year 13 prom as my dress had some orange in and it really stood out. It also looks great with a tan and is naturally pretty long lasting! I need to wear this more coming into spring and summer as it really is beautiful! This post is really turning into a blast from the past for me as this was taken in 2013 when I was leaving sixth form. The other two beautiful ladies are my best friends from school Emily and Megan.
- Stone – muted greyish taupe brown – This is a real love it or hate it shade and a lot of people have slated it saying that it makes them appear a bit dead looking, however on me I just can’t fault it. It’s not to everyones taste but I love stand-out shades and for me this hits the nail on the head. Like whirl, this is a new addition to MAC’s shade range and also started life as a lip liner. I really want to pick up the lipliner to match to get a nice clean application. I think with the right makeup this looks amazing!
- Viva Glam Ariana Grande – deep dark plum – This is so dark that it is almost black and is the most difficult to apply of the lot. However, the shade is beautiful! It is so vampy that it is unlike anything else I own. It is very purple toned and doesn’t blot very well so I find that if you blot then smudge it in with your fingers a little bit that works the best. It can come across a little patchy so I think I need to invest in Vino lip liner to work alongside it to make application smoother. This is my first viva glam lipstick and I love that all the proceeds go to charity! There is a whole post on it here.
- Russian Red – intense blueish-red – This is a staple in my collection and was the second one I bought I believe. I have worn this so much over the years as it is such a classic red shade. It is one of Tom’s favourites and I feel really glamorous when I wear it. Due to it being matte it doesn’t bleed or slip and just looks so lovely on! Here’s a picture of me wearing it in Stockholm with my friend Megan again and my friend from Denmark Jasmin.
So there we have it! All 12 of the MAC lipsticks in my collection! I really hope you enjoyed this post, I feel a real sense of satisfaction having finally written it up! From now on I will update you with each one I buy, having said that my bank balance is screaming NO MORE at me so it could be quite a while!! If there’s any lipstick that you would like more of a review on that I haven’t already done then just let me know. I am planning on doing posts on whirl and stone in the future though so keep your eyes peeled for those!
Finally, I swatched all the shades on my arm so you can see them next to each other:
From left to right: Viva Glam Ariana Grande, So Chaud, Shanghai Spice, Brave, Brick-O-La, Saint Germain, Fanfare, Modesty, Mehr, Whirl, Russian Red, Stone.
Thanks for reading this epically long post!