The other day my brother, Tom and I decided to have a bit of fun and try one of the challenges that’s going round Youtube and blogs at the moment! We did the ‘Guess The Price’ makeup challenge and my brother and boyfriend competed against each other to make it a little bit more amusing.
Firstly, I probably better introduce the two competitors!
Meet my boyfriend Tom:
Occupation: Buyer for Boots (Currently Haircare but previously Beauty – tad of an advantage there!)
And my brother Alfie:
Occupation: Secondary School Student
For the challenge I picked 12 makeup items (it was going to be 10 but the boys were having so much fun they wanted a couple more!!) and they took it in turns to guess the price of the product based on the packaging, swatches, smell etc. Genuinely both of them have a reasonably good knowledge of makeup compared to a lot of other guys so they knew what all the products were and also had a good idea of some of the brands. I didn’t include a MAC lipstick as both of them have bought me them in the past and at the start of the challenge they both stated that they knew MAC lipsticks were £15.50. Impressive but pointless knowledge as it wasn’t included in the challenge. Sorry boys!
- First up was the Urban Decay Moondust Palette that retails for £35. Tom said he thought the packaging was cheap and you were paying for the glitter and Alfie said he thought the colours were a bit bright.
Alfie’s Guess: £29.99
Tom’s Guess: £60
- Next was the Sleek Solstice Highlight Palette which retails for £9.99. Although Tom knew of the brand, the gold packaging and the fact that there were four colours in there confused both of them!
Alfie’s Guess: £25
Tom’s Guess: £20
- Next was a Charlotte Tilbury Lipstick which retails for £23. Both boys liked the packaging and thought that it looked quite expensive. Alfie hadn’t heard of the brand before so decided to base his guess on what he does know and that’s MAC products!
Alfie’s Guess: £15.99
Tom’s Guess: £22
WINNER: TOM!! + a bonus point for being only £1 off!
- Stila’s Liquid Lipstick was next and these retail for £16. Both boys thought this was a cheap product and Tom said if I’d paid over a tenner for that I’d been ripped off. Oops.
Alfie’s Guess: £6
Tom’s Guess: £7
WINNER: TOM!! (Just)
- Next was Bourjois’s Aqua Blush that retails for £8.99. Neither of them were entirely sure what this was or how much it would be but both were familiar with the fact that Bourjois was a lower end brand.
Alfie’s Guess: £12.99
Tom’s Guess: £5
WINNER: TOM!! (By a penny!!)
- I just had to throw the Beauty Blender in as a bit of a spanner in the works! Unfortunately for Alfie, Tom was aware that these are crazy money so Alfie was a bit disadvantaged on this one as he thought it was a cheap sponge but they actually retail for £16!
Alfie’s Guess: £4
Tom’s Guess: £17.50
- Next up was the Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector which retails for £32. Neither of them had heard of Becca but the packaging told them both it was quite expensive. Tom spent a very long time studying the packaging as he is a proper packaging nerd! Tom said he thought the powder looked quite cheap (awkward!).
Alfie’s Guess: £24
Tom’s Guess: £20
- I thought I’d throw in a MAC product for them in the form of my Studio Fix Powder that costs £22.00. Both boys thought this would be really pricey and they liked the packaging!
Alfie’s Guess: £32
Tom’s Guess: £30
- Up next was the Maybelline Blushed Nudes Palette that retails for £9.99. Now Tom had heard of the brand and realised that it would probably be lower end but Alfie based it similarly to the Moondust palette!
Alfie’s Guess: £38
Tom’s Guess: £15
- I gave them the Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua Foundation next to see what they thought when they saw the word ‘Chanel’. Obviously they both went really really high on this one when actually it’s only £33!
Alfie’s Guess: £44
Tom’s Guess: £49
- I threw in the Charlotte Tilbury Magic Foundation for good measure as they thought the Chanel packaging wasn’t that great and this foundation has lovely packaging! They both liked it and Tom thought it was worth more than the Chanel for that reason! This retails for £29.50
Alfie’s Guess: £23
Tom’s Guess: £44
- Finally, I gave them the Bodyshop Instablur primer to price! This retails for £14 but looks a little cheaper so I thought this could be a good curveball for the final round!
Alfie’s Guess: £3.99
Tom’s Guess: £5
OVERALL WINNER: TOM with 8 wins to 4!
This was such a fun challenge to do and something I would definitely recommend you do with some of the men in your life! The shock on their faces at the price of some items was hilarious and definitely something I wish I’d caught on camera! If only I did YouTube hey?! Let me know if you have a go at this as i’d love to read your posts!