So you’re in your penultimate year year at uni, everything’s ticking along fine but what are you going to do after your degree is done or even this summer? This time last year I was in the same position, but I had always known I wanted to do an internship so I set about applying! Today I’m going to give you ten reasons why you should do the same!
- It gets your CV updated! – No matter what the outcome, applying gets you off your bum and updating your CV as it’s crucial for your application!
- It makes you realise your skills – Applications always ask probing questions so it makes you realise quite how good you actually are!
- Money! – Most internships are paid now and at pretty good salaries too! I earned about £2,500 for 6 weeks this year which was a lovely little bonus!
- Interview experience – Even if the application is unsuccessful, interview and application practice is vital for your future career and there is definitely no harm in trying!
- It makes you think about your career more – It really makes you think about what path you might like to go down in the future as you have to search for specific roles rather than just be lead down a particular route.
- You get to network – Throughout the application process you will network with some big names in the company. No matter what, that is valuable and it’s a great opportunity to ask questions about the industry you’re going into.
- Internships often lead to jobs – Want to take some of the pressure off in final year? Get applying! My internship had a 97% success rate in interns getting job offers after. It has taken so much weight off of my shoulders and I’m so glad I applied!
- Try a role out for size – Who really knows what they want to do?! I applied for an audit internship and I wasn’t a fan of the work. However, I discovered I had an interest in Tax and was able to try out the role during the 6 weeks too. I would have always applied for an audit graduate job if I hadn’t tried it out so I am so glad I did!
- All the work clothes! – Think of all the snazzy outfits you’ll get to wear during your time there or even just throughout the interview process! I loved this part! It made me feel like a proper adult!
- They’re so fun – I thoroughly enjoyed everything from the interview process to the entire six weeks themselves. It is honestly one of the best things I’ve done and I would recommend it to everyone!
So what are you waiting for?! Find some companies you are interested, think about all your skills and get applying! I guarantee you won’t regret it!